25 August 2010

Weddings Weddings Weddings

There are a heap of weddings coming up and I have to say, this reminds me of 1 passage. Ephesians 5. HAHAH it was like my worst nightmare. Mr. R said to me: you should start with Ephesians. So I did. And I got to this passage and thought: :0 what the... SUMBIT??! SUMBITT?!? Assssss ifff man. Hahah

Essentially, I thought the passage was summed up as: WOMEN ARE DOOR MATS! Which is not true. Hehe I had to read the whole passage to get the whole context! Hahah this was my first lesson on “reading in context”

2 comments:

  1. now tell us what "the whole context" is?

    24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

    This is very black and white. In modernised civilisation submission is nearly out the window - it's extreme! You gotta balance it out.

    If you noticed, the paragraph for the husband is much bigger than the wifes in Ephesian 5!

    All in all, each party must play their part. The husband must love his wife and to complete it, the wife must submit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Ps Mun spoke about it at J&T’s but what the post was meant to say: as a young rebellious non-Christian girl I misinterpreted it. I never read it in the context of the passage/bible= God’s work/teaching [ie woman= man’s helper]. I thought it was saying you must SUBMIT to a husband = wives will be enslaved and must be whipped = Men rule and END of STORY. hahahh

    ReplyDelete